Mission Statement & Philosophy
Music is an essential part of life, integral in the development of the whole person, and a vital component for the advancement of civilization. A person’s quality of life is improved by physical, emotional, social and cognitive growth experiences through a meaningful, sequential study in music.
The Moorpark High School Music Program strives to provide an environment where students prepare for success in future, whether or not they will become professional musicians. Music class exercises the whole mind, tapping and developing necessary life skills such as empathy, pattern recognition, design/creativity, problem solving, cooperation/competition, long term planning/goal reaching, and self-motivation/discipline. The skills and technical qualities involved in composing, recreating and interpreting works in the fine arts provide for lifelong appreciation.
All students at any level of expertise are accommodated, from the very beginner, to the gifted, future professional musician. Moorpark High has a long tradition of excellence and with the support of the Boosters, will continue to provide the highest level of music education available.
• Learning through music is a lifelong process.
• Competition is necessary. Cooperation is also necessary. Both must be present in equal balance.
• All humankind is inherently musical, therefore, all students, no matter what apparent natural aptitude, can create, experience, and enjoy music making.
• All musicians learn differently and develop at different paces. There is no “norm.”
• Music reinforces all other curricula by connecting concepts and processes to everyday life.
• Music fosters an environment of acceptance and understanding of cultural diversity.
• Excellence in music grows from a shared commitment by students, teachers, parents, administration and the community.
• Music making on a daily basis increases one’s enjoyment of life therefore, such activities should be joyous in nature.